Wednesday, February 25, 2009

"Shake it baby is not a message to preach"


Written by Louise Umutoni
As a singer, dancer and presenter of the popular Great Lakes Generation radio show, he is quickly making a name for himself. And with a name like Daddy Casanova, it is hardly surprising that he is the heartthrob of Kigali. Focus caught up with the young artist, and talked about Italian priests, Rastafarians, the lack of a music industry and what is wrong with 50 Cent.
Focus: How did you come by the nickname of Daddy Casanova? Most people would say it is because of your good looks.
Casanova: My real name is indeed not Casanova, but Daddy Manzi. I got the nickname when I presented the morning show on Contact FM for the first time, together with my friend Bella Gasana. We were so nervous about going on air for the first time, and we wanted to have the right names to go with it.
We did a lot of thinking and guessing for like an hour, coming up with names like Mr. Lover Lover and the kind. It was just when we were about to go on air that Bella suddenly came up with Casanova. I called her BG.
Focus: With a name like that, all the girls in town obviously want to know if you’re still single…
Casanova: (laughing) Sorry to disappoint you girls, but I have a girlfriend, Katia. She’s a Rwandan born in Belgium, and currently she’s a model in Canada. I love her very much.
Focus: Could you tell us something about your background?
Casanova: I was born in Kigali on December 9, 1984, but our family later moved to Goma and came back to Rwanda after the genocide. I still have both parents, as well as two brothers and three sisters.
Focus: And when did you start singing?
Casanova: Unlike a lot of musicians, singing was not a childhood passion for me. I was rather indifferent to it, and needed someone to help me become aware of my talent. That happened when I was 8 years old. I had some friends who sang in a choir, and one day I decided to tag along when they went for practice.
I sang with them just for fun, but the Italian priest who conducted the practice asked me to remain behind; he was a voice trainer and he wanted to coach me an hour longer than everyone else. Yet I thought it was a punishment, and it wasn’t too long before I quit. But by then, I had discovered the love for singing.
Focus: What was your first song and how was it received?
Casanova: My first song was My Dance Floor, a rather silly song but which had nice beats and a good dance tune. People liked it because it was danceable and because I sang in the Kinyarwanda of the street which most people related to.
Focus: It is said that, in addition to being a good musician, you are also a very good dancer.
Casanova: (laughing) I wouldn’t like to blow my own trumpet, but yes, I’m a good dancer. I have been dancing professionally since 2000. I had seen the Cool Family dance group, and I realized I wanted to be just like them. They were very good dancers liked by many people liked, and it was a shame they split. After that, a few friends and I decided to start a dance group with the same name. I now dance at Abraxas.
Focus: Are your dreadlocks a fashion statement or are you a Rastafarian?
Casanova: It depends on what you mean by Rastafarian, because there are different definitions of Rastafarians.
Focus: I mean following the Rastafarian culture of one love, not eating meat, to relax and believing in Jah.Casanova: In that sense, yes, I am a Rastafarian. I believe they are the most peaceful and loving people. However, they are also very much misunderstood.
Me myself, I was one of those people who thought they were rejects in society. That changed when I attended a remembrance party for Bob Marley, and I learned the true meaning of Rastafarianism from some of the oldest Rastafarians.
Focus: Who is your role model?
Casanova: It might sound strange, because I don’t even sing the way he does, but I like John Legend. I think he is one of the best musicians in the world, particularly because he preaches a positive message unlike most artists. He speaks from his heart. This is also one of the reasons why I sing, apart from loving it.
I sing because I do not want people listening to 50 cent and all the negativity he preaches in his songs. I don’t want people listening to I’ll shoot you or Shake that booty; no, I want people to learn something. Life is a big school.
Focus: What do you think about the Rwandan music industry?
Casanova: To be honest, I don’t think we have an industry; I hate the fact that music cannot support artists, so they have to do something else to survive. That kills inspiration. Yet I think there is hope, because Rwandan music is special; it’s not like any other kind of music.
Our music can adopt any singing style; for example, people like 50 cent and Mc Mahoney, they have the same singing style. Our music is also developing and that’s really positive.
Focus: Many people think you should have been nominated for the Pam wards. Do you think it is unfair that this is not the case?
Casanova: Do they? Well, I’m really flattered, but then I didn’t even know they were nominating artists at the time. I think they should properly organize this event if they want it to work out. Moreover, I think Rwanda would do better to create its own awards and let the people choose for themselves.
Focus: What advise would you give fellow artists?
Casanova: I would like all artists to free their minds and speak out. Singing is a way for us to speak out, we should care about our outreach and give a good message to the public. Shake it baby is not a message to preach to the people.

No comments:

Post a Comment